Mar
21st

Greyhounds For Sale? Adopt A Retired Greyhound Instead.

I just went on Facebook today to find that a person or organisation called ‘Greyhounds For Sale‘ had asked to connect with me on Branch Out.

If you weren’t aware of this, Branch Out is Facebook’s version of LinkedIn.  It’s designed to be a professional network where people with business interests can connect.

Anyone who knows me, or knows my website and reads my blogs will know that I have worked in greyhound rescue.  I have also owned several greyhounds after racing who were severely damaged goods.  Missy was beaten, starved and abandoned.  JJ was a nervous wreck and Vinnie has always been terrified of people he doesn’t know.

So I wonder why anyone in the greyhound ‘business’ would think me remotely interested in connecting with a business which breeds for profit and profits from abuse?  Especially as my whole purpose now is geared to helping people choose a dog that’s right for them.

Here was my reply:

I don’t approve of, endorse or connect with anybody that breeds and sells racing greyhounds, or provides a broker service for others that do.  As far as I am concerned greyhound racing should be banned worldwide.  I worked in greyhound rescue and saw all too clearly how much suffering and abuse goes on in the racing greyhound world.  I will also not connect with anyone that races greyhounds UNLESS they do it as a hobby and they can prove that ALL greyhounds are rehomed to loving homes as pets thereafter.  Beverley Nash

Sadly we still have greyhound racing and it will probably be with us forever.  So until the day when it disappears as a sport, I will continue to promote rescued and retired greyhounds as the delightful pets that they are.  That means people who care will provide homes for them once their former owners have creamed off all the profits and dumped the problem somewhere else when it stops making money.

Some would say that if we stopped taking them as pets the racing industry would stop producing them.  If only.  What they’d do is simply kill a lot more.

Ex-racing greyhounds make superb pets for all kinds of homes.  Here are a few reasons why:

• They are delightful creatures – kind, calm, affectionate, docile and gentle
  • They often are a lot better with kids and cats than you might think
  • They also need less exercise than you might think too
  • They are clean and catlike in the house, and many can be happy at home all day as an only dog.
  • They are also classed as non-shedding dogs or hypoallergenic dogs as they can do well for people with mild or moderate dog allergies.
  • Plus if this wasn’t enough to convince you, greyhounds are also often good dogs for first time owners.

I’m thinking of putting together an e-book about choosing a living with ex-racing greyhounds so if this interests you please let me know.  Just leave a comment.  Comment anyway!

And if you are thinking of adopting a retired greyhound for yourself, start out the right way.  Claim 3 free guides to choosing a dog worth $37 by clicking this link.

P.S  There’s a lot to learn about choosing a dog.  Even though greyhounds make fantastic pets they’re not a dog for everyone.  I can vouch for that!  So if you already have your free guides and want more help to decide if a greyhound is for you, you can get it here

en.pdf24.org    Send article as PDF

18 Responses to “Greyhounds For Sale? Adopt A Retired Greyhound Instead.”

• Nancy Weller says:

Marvelous post!

• Eric Jackson says:

Greyhound Companions of New Mexico has a lot of information about the health and behavior or former racing greyhounds. We are a non-profit 501(c)3 corporation involved in greyhound welfare, advocacy, rescue and adoption.

• Beverley says:

Thanks Nancy. It felt like a bit of a rant at the time but looking back the things I said were honest and true, and needed to be said.

• Beverley says:

Hi Eric and thanks for the comment. Greyhounds are fantastic dogs for many homes. Thankyou for the work you do.

• sally allen says:

Beverley, selling greys has popped up from time to time in the Chicago papers especially. You addressed this fairly. Buying a retired greyhound is NOT at all like adopting one! USA DOG never breaks even on the “free” dogs we receive and place; spay/neuter, dewroming, shots, dentals, blood tests….then if there is an injury or illness….

And by the time our sweeties are ready for homes, we know them pretty well and that always helps make the right match.

Thanks so much, also, for calling out those who call adoption enabling; it isn’t. As you said….they would just kill more.

Thanks for a great piece!

• Cyndi R says:

Beautiful article Beverly… what you say is absolutely the truth. So glad you are doing the work you do to help greyhounds and that you did not respond to be associated with anyone who “sells” greyhounds… when you work with rescue, that is just an unconscionable act.

• Karen Martin says:

Beverley – as an owner of an adopted greyhound from New Hampshire, I can only say that these beautiful, gentle, loving dogs deserve so much more than the way the racing industry uses, abuses and discards these creatures of God when they are no longer making profits for the owners, breeders, tracks and betting participants.

I suggest anyone interested in the breed do what I do – research thoroughly online …not only will you find the brutal and cruel treatment humans subject these sweet dogs to, but all the loving, wonderful videos of greyhounds who become calm, quiet, perfectly loveable family members with very little training and a gentle hand. Every person and dog who has ever met my Sierra has loved her, and she has loved them. Make a fast friend for life!

• Eric Mcdonald says:

The following comment is in response to several recent conversations we have had with proponents of Greyhound racing. If you are already against Grey racing, you can skip this letter. Read it, though, if you think Gey racing is fine, or does not harm them, or, if you are looking for concrete examples of why Grey racing must be abolished.
    To all those who wonder about Greyhound racing, and to those who take the position that Grey racing should be legal:
    Ignoring all of the evidence proving that Greys suffer in innumerable ways at racetracks does not make it go away, from malnourishment (including feeding them 4D meat (the meat from dying and “downer” cows)), to debilitating injuries, to premature deaths. If ANYONE believes Grey racing proponents, venture forth. Just a few, minimal examples are right here. Of course, these don’t fit the Greyhound Racing Association of America talking points, do they? Just so EVERYONE reading this knows the malice and ill-will cavalierly thrown about by these imposters who pretend that track racing is good for Greys.
    And it only gets worse from there. So, EVERY time someone tells you how “innocent” Grey racing is, or how much “Greyhounds love to run,” ask them, “How much do Greyhounds love to run at racetracks?”
    Grey2KUSA.org ACTUALLY get the (death and injury) numbers directly from the tracks themselves when tracks report them to the states, as required by law in some states. So, Grey2KUSA.org’s numbers are as far FROM made up as claims of the innocence of Grey racing is from the truth. However most tracks REFUSE TO ADOPT OUT TO GROUPS WHO OPENLY OPPOSE GREY RACING! Therefore, no matter how vile the groups find racing (and they DO find it vile!), they agree to not speak ill of the tracks because the tracks will then go back to killing ALL the Greys, instead of adopting some out. A Faustian Bargain, definitely, but it saves thousands of Greys from the horrible deaths you otherwise give them.

(This comment was edited without removing the main emphasis of the comment, which is that greyhound racing is responsible for widespread and serious welfare abuses)

• Wendy Steed says:

Hi I adopted my first female greyhound 6 years ago.
    She had been extremely traumatised before I bought her, and we had to learn about each other very slowly.
    She showed me she hated loud noises, men, some women, pumpkin, and being left alone was the worst thing I could do to her. I came home one day, to find my laptop balanced precariously on edge of the desk, the rest of the wires, and speakers, had been pulled out side through the cat flap. The advantage of long skinny legs, I guess.
    She thought I was never coming back.
    Not all greyhounds are so terrified, but I had to deal with it, as I do not believe in giving up.
    SO, I changed my job…….
    And worked less hours for a while.
    She started realising she was free to be herself, so she decided to adore the chickens, cat, me, and food.
    She took a fancy to my bed, and was a terrific bed warmer, but getting a big muscle bound upsidedown greyhound off the bed, when they are determined to stay, was something we negotiated,
    god bless cheese.
    At first, She had no concept of how to play, but had a wicked sense of humour, she would grab a soft toy, hide it and pretend she couldn’t see it, I found it in all sorts of positions, and places.
    Her eyes would follow me everywhere, huge, dark, almond shaped and timeless, as if she had come from a world apart from humans, and was waiting to go home.
    I bought her a whippet to keep her company….. love each other…. I have never seen anything so amazing, they just flew… And played all day long.
    I lost my angel at the beginning of last year to bone cancer, in the back leg that pushes them around the track.
    I will miss her forever, her smile, her cockroach positions on my bed, ( I never did win that battle ) her velvet soft fur, her head on my knee.
    My walking partner, listening friend what will I do without you.
    If you think that taking in animals that have been so used and abused is easy, think again, but I am here to tell you, with love and patience you will have truly, the best dog in the world.

• Kimberly says:

Hi Beverley. Great information. Thanks for posting this and for the work you do. I have a retired racer named Molly. I adopted her when she was 2 and she’s 10 now. She is the light of my life. I don’t have human kids. I have a greyhound daughter, Molly and a Calico cat daughter, Alice. I would like to adopt 5 more greyhounds but I don’t have the space or the money right now. Molly is the sweetest dog you have ever seen. Like you said, many greys are cat safe and Molly is one of them. When I first got her, she was not cat safe at all. I was able to train her to be cat safe. She now lives with one and is very loving to her. This is the 2nd cat she’s lived with. It was extremely easy to train her. Greys are incredibly smart animals and can be trained to do almost anything. I used to volunteer here in San Diego for The Greyhound Adoption Center (GAC). I did a lot of Show and Tells with Molly. It is a great way to get information out to people and let them interact with greyhounds. GAC is an amazing organization. They bring in greys mostly from Caliente in Mexico and Arizona but occasionally from other places. They recently built a brand new kennel so they can bring in twice as many as they used to. I’m going to start volunteering again because I miss doing it. If anyone reading this is from San Diego and is interested in volunteering or adopting, you can contact me at kkaplan8@yahoo.com or contact them directly by going to their website http://www.houndsavers.org/ . Thanks for letting me go on and on. And thanks again Beverley for the work you do!

• Beverley says:

Thanks Kimberley! Happy to have your comments here to show everyone what great pets these dogs make. Keep doing your volunteering – we need you! And let everyone know about the help I offer too. Not everyone would wish to own a greyhound (I don;t know why!) but I believe with my help everyone who would make a good home can choose a dog they’ll adore.

• Beverley says:

We lost our Blue to bone cancer (in the spine) in April 2011. We miss him too. Think of the happy memories not the sad ones. You did a wonderful thing and you have it in you to do it again.

• Beverley says:

Thanks for the post. I think I touched a nerve with this. Would an e-book on choosing and living with an ex-racing greyhound be a good idea?

• Beverley says:

Thanks for the comments! The ‘greyhounds for sale’ I was talking about was the sale of greyhound puppies and saplings destined for the track, and racing dogs already on the track. Please pass on my post to everyone you think it will help.

• Beverley says:

Cindi, please pass on my post and share it with your friends on Facebook. The more we educate, the more we can help

• Beverley says:

Hi Karen and thanks for the comments. Please post up my post on Facebook and anywhere else. The more we educate, the more we can do. Would an e-book about choosing and living wioth ex-racing greyhounds be of interest? I could write one.

• Beverley says:

Would an e-book about choosing a living with ex-racing greyhounds be a good idea? It’s my special area of knowledge :)

• Beverley says:

Hi Clare and thanks for your contribution. Welcome! Please pass the blog post on via Facebook and any other social media to raise awareness even more. Also let people who are thinking of choosing a dog know about this site so they can come and get the right help. (Greyhounds make great pets but not everyone wants one!). Best wishes, Bev.